Final Idea

Having thought of what I'd like to do for this project I decided on an idea, and have had it approved.

Portfolio & Mobile Site
I would like to produce a re-designed portfolio website as well as a mobile website for smart phones.

Here is my project proposal, outlining in more detail what the project is and my reasons for choosing it.

Self Branding

During the course of this year I have covered many interesting types of media and expanded my skill sets. One of the more interesting aspects, however, has been talks from industry professionals. They have talked about how they started out, their industry experience and giving advice.

I made a lot of notes about these pieces of advice and one recurring thing I noticed is about the importance of portfolios, which is a form of self branding. You are selling yourself to design companies, and your portfolio should reflect what you have to offer. My current portfolio was built at a time where I just wanted to have an online presence, but unclear of how to do it. I built a site, put it up and it has been stagnating ever since.

Using the advice and all I have learned in the current academic year I propose a portfolio site to be built by me that incorporates lessons learned regarding self branding, promoting my talents, usability and technical considerations. What I present on my portfolio is also a key aspect. I currently have most of the projects that I am happy to show, presented in an overly cumbersome way. I would like to cut the content down and aim it more towards my interests and abilities.

I also propose a mobile version of my portfolio for smart phones. Something I found very interesting in the academic portion of this year is the proliferation of mobile devices and how it is changing media. The uptake of devices capable of mobile web browsing means that it cannot be ignored and I should aim to deliver an optimal version of my website for the platform. Not only should I have to consider cross browser development, but cross platform as well.

I believe the redesign will be a sufficient creative challenge, and the mobile website will be a significant technical challenge utilising modern languages such as CSS3 and HTML 5.


This is my aim, and completing the degree this year means that I will need a strong portfolio in order to start gaining experience in the industry.